Avoid harmful solutions, exposure to chemicals can damage or discolor precious metals - gold, silver and platinum – and may harm some colored gems. Everyday substances like hairspray, lotion, perfume or other cosmetics can contain chemicals that will permanently damage the surface of your pearls and other delicate or porous gems (i.e. turquoise).

Fine jewelry should be removed before diving into a chlorinated swimming pool or before using household cleaners. Many of these cleaners contain ammonia, which can be too harsh for delicate gems or vintage jewelry. Chlorine bleach, another common household solvent, can pit or damage gold alloys.


The safest way to clean your jewelry is by wiping it with a lint-free cloth or with warm water, mild soap and a soft toothbrush.  Do no use any household cleaners, like chlorine and toothpaste. These types of products can erode some of the metals often used in diamond settings, and they may loosen prongs or even dissolve the metal completely.
Ref. GIA.edu